awkwardly

Monday

Dark and Painful

"...During this time, I was again kept for several days in a standing position with my arms above my head and fixed with handcuffs and a chain to a metal ring in the ceiling. My lower leg [where it contacts prosthetic leg] was examined on a daily basis by a doctor using a tape measure for signs of swelling. I do not remember for how many days I was kept standing, but I think it was about ten days. The doctor finally ordered that I be allowed to sit on the floor, I was still kept with my arms extended above my head."
-- Walid Bin Attash, quoted in the International Committee of the Red Cross Report on the Treatment of Fourteen 'High Value Detainees' in CIA Custody, Feb 2007.

Also from the ICRC report: "Mr. Bin Attash commented that during the two weeks he was shackled in the prolonged stress position with his hands chained above his head, his artificial leg was sometimes removed by the interrogators to increase the stress and fatigue of the position."

Obama on torture, from politico.com Apr 16, 2009: "This is a time for reflection not retribution," Obama said. "We have been through a dark and painful chapter in our history. But at a time of great challenges and disturbing disunity, nothing will be gained by spending our time and energy laying blame for the past."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home