awkwardly

Tuesday

I'm going to try to quit meat.
Take it with a grain of salt, because it's not an easy thing to do, and I'm not so committed that I'm starting right away. I'm planning to use up the rest of the meat in my fridge and freezer, and then the only meat I'll buy will be things that Melinda wants.

My primary motivation is sustainability. It's better for the environment to eat a quarter pound of grain than to eat a quarter pound of meat that required dozens of pounds of grain, five or ten times as much water, plus all the fossil fuels wasted on growing that extra grain, keeping meat refrigerated or frozen, etc.

The secondary reason, but still a pretty good one is that buying meat is not conducive to being a cheapskate. I have an instinctive commitment to being a cheapskate. Fresh produce is generally a lot cheaper than any kind of meat.

Third priority, it's good for me. I suppose a vegetarian could pig out on breads, pizza, dairy and processed junk. I'm going to try to buy less processed food and keep a better balance, which will hopefully distract me from that missing ingredient.

Lastly, it's nice for the animals. That's really not a motivation, but a nice side effect.

So my reason for blogging about it is that now I'll have to try and follow through. I don't know how strict I'll be able to stay, but I'm going to try. As Roger said in the 1978 Dawn of the Dead, "I'm gonna try... not to... I'm gonna try... not to... come back [to eating meat]. I'm gonna try... not to..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home