awkwardly

Tuesday

"The following letter was received by the postmaster in Jackson [circa Oct 1866]:

“Sir,—Not knowing your name, but thinking that you would do me the favor to try and ascertain whether there is a man living in the city of Jackson, where you live, or any where else, by the name of Willey. I am his son. I was taken by the Indians about thirty years ago. Can you find any of the relatives of this Willey? All that I know about it is that my father's name is Willey, and that I was taken from Michigan. This I was told by an Indian. Please to try and find out for me, and I will thank you whether you find my father or not, as soon as you can make it convenient, as I want to see him or my relations. Your humble servant, WILLIAM WILLEY."

The Lost Jackson Boy (Harpers.org)
Just ran across this story looking for info about the Cavalry round-up of Native Americans in Jackson around the mid-1800s. I remember they were supposed to have gathered Indians on a hill on Lansing Street or Ganson street in Jackson, but the details weren't fleshed out much in the illustrated history of Jackson that I read a few years back.

This story comes from Harper's New Monthly Magazine, vol. 35, no. 209, pp. 631-633, October 1867.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home